Sunday, October 4, 2015

Shame and Safety

     I feel slightly ashamed, yet at the same time proud. I know that this is an odd combination of feelings, but just imagine this for a moment. You have been riding motorcycles since before high school. You had become infatuated with them, met many people with a great deal of experience that you could learn from. You had never been pulled over on a bike because you either never had been caught during the early stage of your riding; while you became much safer and cautious as you progressed in your riding. It did not matter the kind of motorcycle or the size, you can ride them all as if they were your own, yet you still remain wary when it comes to riding another persons bike. People come to you with questions now, whether it is in regards to fixing their bike or what to do in situations that could pose life or death consequences. This has become me. I love riding almost as much as I love fighting, it helps me to level out. Feeling the wind against my body, knowing that I am an integral part of the bike I am riding. Knowing the limits and making sure that I stay within them. Feeling a sense of responsibility and confidence in my ability to make split second decisions and movements in traffic when needed that the cars around me couldn't dream of. The feeling that my life is in Gods hands with a hint of my own support as I glide around curves and find myself in traffic, which rarely checks for motorcycles. I know that my parents hate the fact that I have grown so fond of traveling on two wheels. I understand their concern and take it into account every time I start a bike. If I begin to feel that riding that day isn't right I do not think twice before grabbing my car keys. All this being said, I failed my motorcycle permit test. I talked to several of my biker friends after this occurred. I wanted to know just what the hell happened. I was met with a unanimous welcome to the club. In my asking around, 9 out of 10 bikers that grew up around motorcycles failed the permit test at least twice. WHAT?? How can the safest bikers I know have failed a basic safety test? How could I? Thinking back to the questions, and the ones that I missed, I began to understand. The book and test that we take is for beginners, it is to teach them basic safety and ways to stay alive, sometimes at the expense of their bike. The safety methods that we conform to as experienced riders differs from that of a beginner. The things we do are second nature and are meant to keep us from ever getting into the situations that we teach beginners about. We have seen what happens, the experienced riders that fail this test are some of the safest people to ride with. And yes this may be sheer speculation but just watch and ask around, I am willing to bet that you will find the same results that I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment