Sunday, October 4, 2015

I'm Getting Another

     For anyone who may care, and even if you don't, I recently decided to purchase another motorcycle. This one is a bike that is pretty dear to my heart and I could not see it go to some random person. My best friend bought this bike after high school before he joined the army, the bike had quite a few issues though which meant that we spent some good time fixing her up. I know with certainty that before he shipped off to basic he rode the bike a maximum of three times. His father had been taking care of it while he was gone. Had been. Once a friend of his fathers had been killed in a motorcycle wreck, he stopped and thought about his mannerisms while riding. He was able to point out several back roads, famous for deer and other woodland creatures running in front of unsuspecting motorist, when pointing these roads out he would explain how he hit 120 mph down this road with ease on the bike. My friends mom made the point to look at him with distaste and claim that it was a good thing he has a wife that works for the hospital because he may find himself there soon. It was always a fun jest however when he thought about this in light of his friend being killed while on a motorcycle his mood seemed to change toward the subject. He began riding it less and less and at this point has not started the bike in a year. When I had gotten word that the bike was going to be sold I felt that I had to intervene,  this bike had been a project for over a year. There were countless hours and long nights spent working the kinks out of the motorcycle that brought my best friend, his father, and I even closer than we had been previously. Call me sentimental, or a pansy, or just say that I wanted another toy; but I could not stand to watch the culmination of all of that time and bonding go to someone who could not appreciate it. I am also a very safe and experienced rider. I used to have my stupid moments on bikes a few years back but I have seen first hand what can happen, and how fast At this point in life I would say that I am wise beyond my years when it comes to riding and safety. Maybe the rest of my life can catch up to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment